I was irritated the last time I needed Windex because I couldn't find the bottle. I'm used to having Windex's unearthly shades of blue and other wild colors (depending on the flavor you buy) scream at me from the basket of cleaning products above our washing machine. Seventh Generation glass cleaner comes in a white bottle, and I think of white bottles when I'm cleaning toilets, showers and the like. Not like I really do that much these days (bless you, Becca), but I digress...

I needed glass cleaner for the inside of my car windows. I don't consider this a tough job for a cleaner. After all, there's no snot, mud, popped zit material or anything else like that on the inside of my car windows. As simple as the task was, Seventh Generation couldn't handle the job. I think my windows actually looked worse after I got through with them. The smudges were still there, and I was downright frustrated. The only benefit I got from this experience was burning a lot of calories trying to get my windows clean with this god-forsaken liquid.
I'm all for buying and using environmentally friendly products if they're of comparable or superior quality and the difference in cost is minimal. When I can come up with a better glass cleaner using the Southwest Minneapolis metro area's ridiculously hard water in my garage, however, then we've got a problem. For now, I want my toxic fumes and Mother Earth-destroying Windex back. I may be leaving a dirty, toxic world for my hypothetical children and grandchildren, but at least I'll have clean windows and mirrors.
Do yourself a favor: don't buy this product. Other Seventh Generation stuff might work (please do chime in if that's the case--I wouldn't know), but this particular product is a sham. Amen.

I'm anti earth-friendly when it comes to my cleaning products. The stronger the chemical scent, the better. I wanted to know that my dirt is being obliterated. I use the same products now that I used back in the day when cleaning the parents' house: Soft Scrub, Comet, Windex, Lysol... Some of them have flower scents now, but they're still harsh chemicals. Awesome.
ReplyDeleteI am a fan of "green" cleaning products, but Seventh Generation's glass cleaner is terrible. Consumer Reports reviewed them as well and agreed. They have other good products, but that one is bad. The best green cleaners (I think) are made by the people who make the most toxic ones, Clorox.
ReplyDeleteGo to http://www.greenworkscleaners.com/
I have liked all the products I have tried from this line.
you should try mrs. meyers. you can buy it online, and it smells fantastic. seventh generation dishwasher soap and laundry soap are awesome. their dishsoap is pretty good too. but i really like mrs meyers because of how it smells. i have a hard time with the chemical smells in a bathroom (little ventilation, good sense of smell) and using mrs meyers i actually almost enjoy cleaning the bathroom. or doing the dishes, or doing laundry.....their laundry spot cleaner is awesome. you can find mrs. meyers online. and i'm sure some it is at a grocery store nearby.....you know how you love those expensive specialty grocery stores.....
ReplyDelete