Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Saturday, September 6, 2008

I'd rather have cancer than...

...vote for Barack Obama. I doubt any of the 2.3 people who read this blog will care as to why, so I'll just say that I don't agree with him on most things and have major concerns about all the "hope" and "change" filler in his campaign. The deeper I dig into his voting record and proposed policies, the more problems I have. And don't get me started on his tax plan...

I didn't vote for John McCain in the caucus, but he's better than the Democratic alternative. I find myself liking Sarah Palin quite a bit. I have no children of my own and am not interested in having any, but for reasons I cannot explain, I like that she has five children and has also managed to have a career in government. Maybe it's the multi-tasker in me that likes that; I really don't know.



I certainly don't agree with the Republicans on everything. I actually voted for Kerry in the last election because of my lack of trust in the Bush administration. If I truly felt that John McCain was cut from the same cloth as George Bush, I'd likely vote the other way. That makes me cringe, but I don't believe in sitting out elections, even when I don't like the choices. I certainly didn't like Kerry, but I feel that it's not only a privilege to vote, but also my duty.

I listen to both liberal and conservative talk radio, and have been sick of election talk and coverage for a while. I tire of the repetitious catchphrases and attempts to paint candidates in one light or another. On the conservative side, the constant talk of Obama's "bitter Americans clinging to their guns and religion" comment has gotten really old. On the liberal side, I get tired of hearing about "traitors", "thugs" and the like. Despite that most people see me as a negative person, I really don't like all the negativity. And really, I'd like to hear more talk about each candidate's proposed policies. Soundbites might give some insight into a candidate's character, but they will give little insight into how a candidate might actually govern, and that's what we really need to know. Whatever the case, McCain's selection of Sarah Palin as his running mate has renewed my interest in the upcoming election, so I've been listening to talk radio more again. The next two months should be very interesting indeed.

I spend no time or effort in convincing anyone (other than Becca) how to vote. A vote is a very personal choice, and lobbying for this kind of thing just isn't my style. What I'd really like to see is more people educating themselves, registering to vote, and then actually voting. Every election is important, no matter who's on the ticket or at what level of government.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive