It sucked.
As I've mentioned previously, I've been going to the movies like crazy since I graduated in December. I'm running out of decent movies to watch, however, so I decided to take a chance on "Watchmen" on Friday afternoon. Other than the fact that it was based on a graphic novel (Why can't they just call it a comic book, for the love of Peter?) and that it had superheroes and a few big explosions, I didn't know much more about it than the fact that there was a lot of hype surrounding it.
I should have studied up a bit more. I wasn't prepared for the blood, the limbs being hacked off, the extreme violence, or the kind of weird sex scene where one superhero is shagging another in their floating hovervehicle thingy. I was also not prepared for all the going back and forth in time. I mean, seriously, if people want to do that, they should get a time machine rather than a videocamera. And then there was the length--almost three hours of this mess. After I got home from the movie, I read a review of it where the critic called it "interminable". Yes, that's an excellent way to put it.
I must admit that there were some cool explosions (I will overlook the flaws of most movies that contain nuclear explosions--that's the quickest way to my heart that I know of--but not this one) and some interesting special effects (save the crappy animation on the blue guy's mouth, where his words were out of sync with his mouth), but it just wasn't enough to save "Watchmen" from the dustbin of film history.
Save your money. Save yourselves. Do not see "Watchmen". It's a colossal failure.
Profile
wisdom in 140 characters or less
Monday, March 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Before you go to a movie you should really read the reviews on www.metacritic.com and then if you want to know how "bad" a movie is you should check out www.commonsensemedia.org.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I too will overloook plot issues for some cool special effects (aka, all three Matrix movies. Loved 'em. The only movies I ever went to the theater to see more than once). I will steer clear of this one.
ReplyDelete