Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Progresso Reduced Sodium Chicken Noodle Soup: Epic Fail

The day that President Obama was inaugurated was a day of sickness in our home. The little lady was deathly ill, and the planets aligned such that I was able to stay home from work and take her to the doctor. On the way home, we stopped at Target to pick up her prescriptions and some food. One of the items I picked up was Progresso's reduced sodium chicken noodle soup.

The next time she went to work, she took a can of this soup for her lunch. She later complained that she felt like throwing up after she ate it. She has a lot of (what I consider to be) strange food hang-ups, so I attributed this negative reaction to her weirdness and illness. She refused to eat any more of said soup, so the remaining cans sat on the pantry shelf, gathering dust.

Fast forward to today. I was in the mood for something different, so I pulled out some of this soup and heated up a bowl for dinner. I was shocked at how bland it was when I took my first bite. I might as well have been eating water with some rubbery chicken and mushy carrots and noodles added for color. I ran back to the kitchen and grabbed my trusty sea salt grinder, and began to grind...and grind...and grind...and grind. After a few twists, I'd taste the soup again. Nothing. More twists...nothing...more twists...Finally, after about four rounds of twisting, I had something that was sort of worth eating. I suppose I could have just ground a pile of salt onto a plate and eaten that. The nutritional value would have been about the same, and it wouldn't have been nearly as filling.

Reduced sodium soup (especially chicken noodle) makes about as much sense as soup without water. It's bland, boring and has no business being served to humans...at least, not the kind that have tongues. The idea of canned soup is gross enough without removing one of its key ingredients.

So, the next time you're in the mood for a hearty crock of disappointment, treat yourself to a can of Progresso's reduced sodium fare. Yes, I'm extending the F- failing grade to the entire product line. Bon appetit.

4 comments:

  1. The Campbell's "light" soup is awful too. I ate like 2 bites and threw the rest away. Disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat the progresso's light soup and I'm not going to complain. I'm not a picky eater so I couldn't tell you if it'd meet your standards or not. I just started eating it for lunch on days when I'm too lazy to make a lunch and it's way fewer in calories than other things I'm in the habit of eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abish, I'm not surprised. Becca is not picky, either, and I'm still shocked she even complained about the stuff. Her lack of reaction to other things + your lack of reaction to non-regular Progresso soups makes me wonder if dead tastebuds are a trait in the Sjoberg family. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i avoid all canned soups if possible. they all taste yuck no matter if they are low sodium or not.

    ReplyDelete