Work has been brutal lately, so I decided that I needed maximum relaxation yesterday. I started out the day with a long bath. By long, I mean like three hours. Taking a long bath probably seems like an odd thing for a guy to do, but having a whirlpool bath is a beautiful thing, and those jets make all the difference in the world. I was a skeptic and didn’t want to pay the extra money for one when our place was being built, but the little lady talked me into it, and I’ve been grateful ever since. I use it way more than she does, too. I keep a huge stack of magazines next to the tub, and it’s probably the only place where I have the opportunity to read anything other than a textbook these days.
The bathtub is a place where time has no meaning—lonely, yet inviting just the same. I can adjust the lighting in the room to fit my mood, and with the room half-lit, the rest of the house and the world seem to fade away. Whether this has long been the intent of having large bathtubs or my own subjective view of hot water and bubbles doesn’t really matter. I’ll not likely buy another home without a large bathtub.
Costco was the first stop of the day. I like Costco a lot; I like the way they treat their employees and the fact that there is always new and interesting stuff to buy. Shopping at Costco has often been described as going on a treasure hunt, and I don’t disagree with that. Whether it’s a new flavor of frozen chicken wings or a Tag Heuer watch, there’s always something interesting lurking around every corner. Yesterday was no different from that perspective, but the overall experience wasn’t anything to write home about. Everyone and their mother decided yesterday would be a great day to go to Costco; the aisles were crowded, the store noisy, the parking lot unsafe for pedestrians and pets alike. Since we only bought three things, it was hardly worth the trouble. Saturdays are great for all the free samples they hand out, but I think I’m going to have to stop going to Costco on Saturday and find another day.
Our next stop was the nearby mall. We spent 20 minutes wandering around Barnes & Noble, which was surprisingly fun. It’s been a few years since I last read a book that wasn’t required for school, and so many of the books I saw looked fascinating. Perhaps Barnes & Noble is a place I’ll spend more time when I no longer have to go to school. By now, I’m willing to read almost anything, as long as words like “business”, “leadership” and “Stephenie Meyer” don’t adorn the tome’s cover or pages.
The movie theater was our next stop. I had wisely pre-ordered tickets for a late afternoon showing of “Quantum of Solace” the night before. We actually had to wait in line to get into the theater, which seemed odd. We don’t go to the movies nearly as much as we used to (I think Blu-ray is better, honestly), but when we do, we usually have trouble finding people amongst all tumbleweeds blowing through the cineplex. The movie was great. I’m a Bond fan, but the franchise had grown a bit tired with Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan at the helm. Daniel Craig has brought life back to the role. His Bond is the most realistic of all the Bonds; his character is cold, vicious and possesses a singular focus with which I can readily identify. He doesn’t care whether his vodka martinis are shaken or stirred, and has no qualms about leaving a hefty body count in his wake if doing so serves the purpose of his mission. All that said, Craig’s Bond is not without wit or a humanity that was missing under the suave personae of his predecessors. In any case, I went in with low expectations for the film, as it has not garnered the rave reviews of its predecessors, and my expectations were quickly surpassed. There was a lot of action, and yet the story line was still plausible and the characters believable, if not always likable. I can’t wait for “Quantum” to come out on Blu-ray. Like “Casino Royale”, we’ll watch it again and again. I am now anxiously awaiting the next installment of Bond with Daniel Craig at the helm—he’s the best Bond ever.
Our next stop was the local Best Buy. You’d think I’d stay away from the place on the weekend, but I always like going. Some people like clothes and shoes; for others, it’s handbags that make their day. Me, I eat, drink, breathe and sleep the majority of what Best Buy has to offer. Even more so than Costco, there are treasures to be found in every aisle. No two visits are the same, and I never know what’s going to hold my attention most before I get in the store. Yesterday, it was CDs and movies in which I was most interested. I bought a couple CDs, but restrained myself when it came to movies. I’ve been trying to exercise restraint on my purchases lately so that it will be easier for Becca to shop for me for Christmas. We’ll know if my strategy has paid off soon enough.
There is a loop of freeways that encircles Minneapolis/St. Paul. On a whim, I decided to get on the freeway after our visit to Best Buy and drive the entire loop. I didn’t ask Becca before I did so, knowing that she’d probably say no. She was remarkably agreeable the entire time, however, which was great. We listened to the sweet sounds of Velvet Revolver and the new Christmas compilation from Jack Johnson’s record label as we conversed and made our way around the circumference of the Twin Cities. The moon was bright, big and orange in the eastern sky. The cars were few, and the trip fast. I think we drove the entire loop in a little over an hour—a feat which would never occur on a weekday.
It was 25F by the time we arrived at our local grocery store, and the moon had returned to its normal color and size as it traversed the night sky. The parking lot was quiet and largely empty, as was the store itself. This is how I would have preferred Costco, but I’m not likely to see such idyllic conditions in a Costco in this life or the next three. Anyway, we made quick work of our shopping list and then headed for home. We had turkey soup from Costco (I’ll never buy it again—it was infested with mushrooms, one of the more vile foods known to man) and homemade rolls, and then enjoyed the episode of “The Office” that we had recorded on Thursday night. It was a classic episode, and I felt strangely happy to see Jim and Pam reunited and kissing. I don’t remember ever seeing much kissing on “The Office” before, so it seemed strange when two different couples did during the same episode. Whatever the case, I’m really enjoying this season.
Saturday was a good day. A really good day.
Profile
wisdom in 140 characters or less
Monday, November 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(129)
-
▼
November
(17)
- fashion victim redux
- my father: fashion victim
- there's nothing better than...
- waking the dead
- daih yih chi tag
- death and rebirth
- quantum of saturday
- important questions for prospective employees
- I'm flattered. I think.
- the goodness of bacon cannot be overstated
- the king is dead
- the dawn of a blue day
- judgment night
- eve of the apocalypse
- howard stern is keeping me alive
- why i'm voting for john mccain
- halloween hater
-
▼
November
(17)

No comments:
Post a Comment