Both images here were taken with my Canon 7D, Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L lens (again, I love this lens--I think it's got the best image quality of all my lenses), and with the camera mounted on a tripod. The first one (original, then cropped) I like better for color, but not for sharpness or image noise.


f/22, 1/200 sec, ISO 3200, 400mm
After I checked how the images looked when blown up, I wasn't satisfied with the amount of noise in the images due to the fact that I'd been using ISO 3200 (it's windy this morning, so I wanted a faster shutter speed), so I decided to go back outside and take my chances with ISO 100 and a slower shutter speed. There were definite improvements in the sharpness and noise, but I had to toss most of the images due to blurring. The colors also weren't as good, since the sun had started to rise. This one turned out pretty well, though:


f/22, 1/8 sec, ISO 100, 400mm
In retrospect, I probably could have stopped down in order to increase the shutter speed, but oh well. There's always next time.

Very cool. That 100-400 is a sweet lens. Certainly an improvement over my 70-200 with the 2x attached.
ReplyDelete