Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

the warm embrace of the reaper

I don't know about you, but I've long felt that all the hubbub about swine flu has been complete b.s., primarily manufactured by the media because they've been bored and had nothing else to do. Most of the ruckus took place in late spring/early summer, and it quickly became evident that few people actually had said flu (and I don't think too many pigs had it, either). Now, however, it's starting to look like this piggy virus may be the real deal. I was talking to my mother this afternoon, and she told me one of my nieces had it, and that my sister had been given instructions not to bring the kid back to school until she had gone at least 24 hours without a fever and 24 hours without taking medication of any kind. And then there was my team meeting yesterday, which an HR representative interrupted to say the following:

- If you're sick, DO NOT COME TO WORK.
- If your kid is sick, DO NOT COME TO WORK.
- If you have our health insurance, GO GET A FLU SHOT.
- If you don't have our health insurance, WE WILL PAY TO GET YOU A FLU SHOT.

Never at any time in my life has anyone around me made such a big deal about any kind of illness or virus. It almost makes me think I should go get a flu shot (I tend to pass out when poked with needles, so I never have before) before I travel to Asia in a couple weeks. Of course, I don't know that that would do any good. I fully expect this trip to be a virus exchange--I'll give them H1N1, and they'll give me bird flu or SARS or whatever the infectious flavor of the month is. Can't wait!

In other news, I'm in Phoenix right now. I was in the convention center this afternoon, and noticed the following "sculpture":

Photobucket

At first glance, it was about the creepiest piece of art I'd ever seen. Here's a close-up so you can understand why:

Photobucket

Look at the expression on the girl's face. Notice the half-bodies. I think the security guard standing by it had seen/heard similar reactions to said sculpture before, because as soon as I mentioned it, he walked away and looked like he was going to go into convulsions, he was laughing so hard. Anyway, I guess these people are supposed to be swimming in a lake or something like that, but still...

I think the facial expressions are the worst part. I understand that faces are very difficult, and I think my position is this: if you can't get the face right, maybe you should just stick to landscapes and not freak the rest of us out.

3 comments:

  1. I've always been on board with the idea of the Swine Flu being overly hyped. Is it dangerous, sure, but more people will die this year from the regular flu than they will the Swine Flu. There have actually been some people at work who've come down with it. They said it sucked and, though at times they wished they were dead, they were never ill enough to go to the hospital or anything like that.

    As far as I know, the only people who have died had preexisting conditions that contributed to the flu.

    Do I want it? No. Am I as terrified as the news says I should be? Not even close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I inspected it closely, it looked like they were drowning in quicksand. Seriously, cactus in water? What were they thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Swine Flu was over hyped. I have a bad attitude and figure if I'm going to die, I will die. With my family history, I don't need another thing to have anxiety over. At first glance, I thought maybe the people were being buried in ash from a volcano. ha ha. Don't ask me why. Then I realized they were in water. What I don't understand is why there are pigs running around. I agree, maybe he should have had a different expression on the lady's face. It's one of those things like when people get portraits tattooed and they define all the teeth and end up making the face look really freaky.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive