Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Sunday, August 30, 2009

vacation day 8: cruising hubbard glacier

I woke up around 6:30am and immediately went outside to see if I could see anything from the ship. After being outside for 10 minutes, I went back to our room to get Becca up. The scenery that we saw was arguably the most amazing that we’d seen since we got to Alaska, and considering what we’d seen, that’s saying a lot. The captain of the ship got the ship as close as he could to two glaciers that were spilling into a bay (one was the Hubbard Glacier, and I can’t remember the name of the other). We stayed in the area for a couple hours or so, and took lots of pictures of the glaciers, the mountains, and seals that we saw resting on the ice coming off the glaciers. I’ll just let the pictures do the talking from here.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Seals:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Loads o' seals:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

When ice crashes into the sea:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

For me, it was a once in a lifetime kind of thing. This sort of scenery you usually only see on TV, and not in person. I felt even luckier after we left, because immediately after we left the bay, the weather took a turn for the worst and we didn’t see land the rest of the day. It was foggy/cloudy/rainy, and that made for a very lazy, uneventful day at sea. We did play a game with some other people on board, but we later went our separate ways, as I took a nap and Becca went to play more games on her own. Later in the day, Becca wasn’t feeling very well and eventually threw up, so we mostly laid low and packed our bags and watched TV in our cabin. And thus ended our cruise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive