I subscribe to a number of magazines, and over the last couple of years I've read a number of articles on grooming and hair care in which so-called "experts" recommend that people wash their hair with shampoo less in order to make it healthier and more manageable. Now, having been raised as your average American white male, such a recommendation is anathema to me, to my hair. Everybody knows, after all, that you're supposed to wash your hair every day--get the oil, dirt, dandruff or whatever else might be lurking in there from the day's activities out of your hair. Having said all that, however, I've been intrigued by the idea. I finally decided to try it during my trip to China/Taiwan back in April.
This might seem like a strange place to try such a thing. After all, my European genes haven't exactly equipped me with the ability to deal well with the heat and humidity of east Asia, and that means sweat--lots of glorious, white man meat 'n' potatoes sweat. Still, I gave it a whirl. I even went two days without shampooing in one instance. And I kept it up when I got home.
Months later, I can declare my new routine of shampooing only every other day a huge success. My dry scalp problems are gone. My hair is more manageable (not like most of you would know the difference, since I usually keep it very short, but I do), and on the second day, it usually looks darker--I like that. Yeah, sometimes it feels a bit dirty toward the end of day 2, but that's a small price to pay for the other benefits. Oh, and I save money on shampoo, naturally.
If you've never tried it, I highly recommend it.
Profile
wisdom in 140 characters or less
Saturday, August 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(112)
-
▼
August
(12)
- goodbye, alaska
- vacation day 8: cruising hubbard glacier
- vacation day 7: icy strait point, land of alaskan ...
- the mosquito bites were worth it. sort of.
- random thoughts for a monday afternoon
- vacation day 6: skagway, glaciers and more rockin'...
- hair care revelation
- new best friend
- vacation day 5: juneau, the best two hours of my l...
- vacation day 4 - ketchikan
- vacation day 3 - the inside passage
- vacation day 2: seattle to vancouver
-
▼
August
(12)

i've done this too. even read of someone only using baking soda once a week to wash their hair, and that it worked. i just might try that this year.
ReplyDeleteI wash my hair twice a week. Sometimes 3. I swear by it.
ReplyDeleteRebecca (from work)