Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Thursday, December 1, 2011

the futility of consumerism

When I started this blog four and a half years ago, I was in a much different place than I am now. Well, figuratively speaking. I was sitting in the same chair in the same house, spending time in front of a computer and worrying about a possession. I came up with the name of this blog after thinking about the lyrics to a favorite hardcore punk song of mine by the now-defunct band Refused. The lyrics are as follows:

["They told me that the classics never got a style but, they do, they do. Somehow baby, I never thought that we do to." ]

I got a bone to pick with capitalism and a few to break
Grab us by the throat and shake the life away
Human life is not commodity, figures, statistics or make believe

And yeah, I like eating excrement, not getting paid for it
Play the guilt, play the fear & play the anxiety
And yeah, I like eating excrement, not getting paid for it
Play the guilt, play the fear & play the anxiety

Seduced by the opportunity and robbed of hope
Alienation is not commodity, figures, statistics or make believe

Marginalise away the joy and sell us boredom

And yeah, I like working doing nothing, not making anything
Blame the poor, blame the uneducated & blame the sick
And yeah, I like working doing nothing, not making anything
Blame the poor, blame the uneducated & blame the sick

I got a bone to pick and a few to break


By 2007, I had gotten to a point where I was beginning to be sick of what I was doing with my career and the lifestyle I had built up for myself, which focused primarily on consumerism. I spent enormous sums of money trying to fulfill every whim and desire that came to mind for music, electronics, clothes, accessories and so forth. It was not difficult for me to see that this was leading nowhere. Looking around the same room where I was sitting now, there were piles of stuff everywhere, particularly CDs and computer equipment. The situation has only gotten worse since then, but it's about to change. And so by "futility of capitalism", what I was really referring to is the futility of consumerism. We're all consumers and there's no escaping that, but I believe that a focus on consumerism as a means of driving an economy, a lifestyle, and/or happiness, really is futile. And if there's one truth I've discovered over the years in all my spending and stuff, it's that there's little joy to be found in it.

Fast forward to 2010. I took a job that required that I be on the road a lot. If you've been following this blog then you've seen all the photos and read the stories. It's been a wonderful trip. Being away from home so much has given me a lot of space and opportunities to consider what I believe is most important and what I want most from life. Being on the road also forces you to focus on the essentials, because you can't take everything with you. That doesn't mean that I haven't tried. On my first trip to the UK/Turkey in this job, I took my Kindle, my iPad, three mp3 players, a DSLR and four lenses, my work computer, and a ridiculous amount of clothing and shoes. It didn't take me long to figure out that I didn't need the vast majority of what I took. This trip and other trips made me realize that most of my possessions were and are superfluous. My possessions were literally burdens that I felt I needed to get rid of.

Photobucket

Inspired by these experiences, as well as concerns about my spending patterns and money-oriented behaviors, I've become interested in the minimalist movement over the past several months. At first, I had a passing curiosity in people and ideas that espoused living with few material possessions and focusing more on experiences, relationships and community. Based on this, I started to buy less stuff. The immediate effect of this has been our savings increasing at a faster rate than ever before, which is great. The other major thing that has happened is that I've been able to start de-cluttering my home, my office and any other space I spend time. This has meant throwing away, giving away, and now, selling. In the past two days, I've listed almost 50 items for sale on eBay (my ID is slbrownhk in case you're interested in searching for these items). There will be hundreds, if not thousands more items in the coming months.

Sometimes I look at all my stuff and I have a bit of regret. The CDs and movies alone probably cost me more than $50,000, and I'll never recover even close to that amount. At the same time, I've never been the kind of guy to focus much on regrets and I never bought all this stuff with the intent of selling it anyway. So, if all I got back was a few hundred dollars, I'd probably be OK with that. Why? Because I'd no longer feel burdened by all my stuff. Because I'd feel free to pick up and move to another country if I wanted to, and I wouldn't worry so much how to handle all my stuff. Because I'm getting time back to focus on things that I really care about.

What do I care about? My wife. Travel. Reading. Photography. Music. Already, by putting effort into getting rid of stuff and changing a couple of obsessive TV/movie watching behaviors, I'm seeing huge benefits. I'm actually reading books and magazines I've bought or to which I've subscribed. I feel OK about getting in the kitchen and cooking a bit, even if it's simple stuff from a box. I don't feel like picking up after myself is a chore. The space around my bed and in my closet is the cleanest it's been in years. Maybe the cleanest it's ever been.

This will be an interesting journey and a long one. I estimate that I have over 4000 CDs and 500 movies right now. And there's all the electronics that need to be pared down. I'd like to get down to 100 or less in each of my CD and DVD collections; maybe I'll get rid of everything. I've already started donating clothing and shoes; I'd like to donate more. In any case, I intend to write more about this journey.

I'm a bit scared, but I'm REALLY excited.

7 comments:

  1. You and I must be on the same wavelength. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and my goal for the new year is to cut back on spending and cut back on stuff. I've never been much of a hoarder anyway, but there are things in my house that I haven't used in years that I keep "just in case". What's the point of having it around? I could try to have a garage sale or sell in on Craigslist, but for the most part I give away my things to ward members (like my religious books) or donate to the Salvation Army.

    Like you, the most important things in my life are family and experiences. Stuff doesn't build memories - experiences do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting. I'm a little surprised to hear of your interest in this, since my perception is that you have far less stuff than I or the rest of our siblings do. I guess it's all relative.

    "Just in case" has been at the root of a lot of my purchasing and hoarding over the years. Particularly for a guy who loves electronics and accessories, there's no end to all the various possibilities for how your stuff might get used. Add to that the sometimes unpredictable, extreme weather of MN, and you have a recipe for disaster: product accessories for every season, extra clothing for every possible type of weather, etc. I think I've donated or am going to donate five coats in the last month alone.

    At some point in the future, I'll probably write a post exploring where more of my material/hoarder tendencies come from. For you, I'm sure some of the sources are the same. I hope you'll comment some more throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have less stuff than most of us. I really hate clutter, and I hate pointless knick knacks (though I admit that souvenirs from my travels are a weakness). A lot of my anti-hoarding views are more recent than childhood. Moving a lot in the past and the possibility of more moves in the future really helps in paring things down. 6 months of living in my in-laws house have also made me realize that not being able to move on from the past and throw things away can really hamper your lifestyle. I don't ever want my kids to say that when I die, they'd rather burn my house down than clean out my stuff (as my sister-in-laws have said about their parents' house).

    I've been interested in the whole "no buy" movement. I don't think I could ever fully jump in to it because it involves buying from thrift stores and that's not really my thing, but the idea of not spending money on extras and trying to get the most of what you already has really appeals to me. I've even been scouting out recipes for homemade detergent, soap, and cleaning products. It goes hand-in-hand with my slightly environmentalist tendencies.

    I've also been considering canceling my clothing store credit cards. The only thing holding me back has been the discounts I get on the kids' clothing, but I think I'm just using that as an excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going for the "no buy" movement. I'm not trying to stop all purchasing, either. Really, what I'm after is, as you mentioned, getting the most of what I already have and getting rid of what I really don't care about.

    I don't plan to do any homemade cleaning products or gifts or anything like that--that's a bit extreme for me.

    We recognized clothing store credit cards were a major issue for us and got rid of them all 7-8 years ago. I'm sometimes tempted when they're offering 20% off and we're making a big purchase, but I think I'd rather not get the discount and avoid the temptation. Which reminds me, I need to cancel some credit cards. That's one thing I'm happy to say that we haven't done in 7-8 years--carry a credit card balance from one month to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I think I've told you this before, but living abroad for 6 months out of 2 suitcases made me understand that I didn't need so many clothes and shoes. I remember being home the first week and just looking at my closet(s) full of clothes and being amazed, and also sickened by the excess. My first year back I didn't really buy any clothes, on purpose, but now I've found myself drawn to the mall, or online, because of all the "great" sales. I've thought about challenging myself not to buy any clothes for 6 months, starting in January. Rereading that sentence makes it seem very easy, but somehow I doubt it will be easy or painless. I'm very interested in this discussion, keep the posts coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your clothes challenge. I've been through phases where my appetite for new clothing was unstoppable (I'm still sitting on at least 20-30 ties from one particularly bad era), but I'm happy that I've broken away from that. I think I set aside for donation or threw away at least 20 articles of clothing today alone. That's how I started my day, and I must say that it felt pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm up to four medium sized bags of clothes/shoes/accessories to donate. Good luck with your cleaning/purging too :)

    ReplyDelete