Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Saturday, December 3, 2011

one form of addiction

The little lady's out tonight, some I'm doing some more cleaning and purging tonight. Tonight's focus is my CD collection, and I've decided to get rid of the most valuable part of my collection, which is my box sets. Many of them are rare and/or out of print. The majority of them are from a boutique label, Mosaic Records. I fell in love with Mosaic almost a decade ago when I was really into jazz music. I bought some 30 Mosaic box sets, at an average price of over $100. That's a lot of money. Over time, I started listening to jazz less and less, and I mostly stopped buying jazz more than five years ago...or so I thought.

Until just a few weeks ago, I had remained on Mosaic's email list. Every time a set was about to go out of print, I would get a notice telling me that if I wanted to buy, now was the time. I've been tempted to get a few sets, but I haven't done it because I know I wouldn't listen to them anytime soon. Among these sets were famous artists (at least, in the jazz world) like Dizzy Gillespie and Oliver Nelson. So, no Dizzy Gillespie or Oliver Nelson for me.

Back to tonight's activities: I started pulling out my Mosaic sets to review their condition and make notes so that I could sell them, and I've discovered so far five sets that I don't remember ever buying, including Dizzy Gillespie and Oliver Nelson. That's right--I bought five sets, never even opened them, and put them in the closet. That's at least $500 that I spent and didn't even think twice about. Way to go, me.

I said before that I typically live in the present and don't have that many regrets. Maybe that wasn't quite true.

4 comments:

  1. As I was going through one of my closets today, I found 4 pink shirts that are basically the same thing and 3 black sweaters that are basically the same thing. I know when I bought these things I wore the first item a lot, and thought it would be a good idea to get another so that the first one didn't wear out. And then I just kept getting more, with that same mentality. Sometimes I think it would be good to just have a uniform, a la Gary Arnold, and then you'd only need maybe 5 shirts, 5 pairs of pants and that's it. I wonder what his closet looks like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually pretty reasonable, assuming you don't gain weight. I've done this before as well--find a great pair of jeans or chinos or the like, and then buy several pairs of exactly the same thing. Actually, weight loss isn't the only problem. Changing fashion trends and tastes are also a problem.

    Re: weight changes, that's actually been a bigger problem for me in the past than buying multiples of the same thing. I bought several articles of clothing anticipating weight loss changes that didn't materialize...or they did, but 4-6 years later. If you've seen me wearing new clothes lately, there's an excellent chance that those clothes were bought years ago and never worn. At least I can wear them now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is reasonable, except when you have multiples that never get used and take up space. I'm keeping all of the pink shirts and the black sweaters, and I grouped them together in my closet so I know that I already have those items if I'm tempted at the mall. Which brings me to my next thing - the mall. I like going to the mall. Even when I don't buy anything. I like looking in stores, seeing the merchandise, seeing what's on sale. I guess it's a pastime for me and a way to just get out of the house. Which encourages me to shop more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it's wrong to go to the mall, per se, but it can be very tempting. We went to the MOA last night and it was very tempting...but not for me. I've found a lot of joy in buying stuff for the little lady over the years. I think that all the new clothes, handbags and shoes actually became a surrogate for real affection. That's a topic for a post I'll have to write sometime.

    ReplyDelete