Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

stormy weather / a visit to the circus

I was responsible for organizing a week-long work event. It was a major pain and took months of planning, but it took place last week and (mostly) went off without a hitch. While most of the event was work--presentations, corporate buzzwords and the like, there were also a few fun events, one of which was a cruise on nearby Lake Minnetonka.

In MN, you always know when the clouds look weird and/or the sky turns strange colors that you're going to get hammered, and that's exactly what happened that night. It only lasted 15 minutes or so, but the clouds were pretty serious, spawned a tornado a few miles from us, and dropped golf ball-sized hail in other parts of the city.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Becca and I drove to Northfield (about an hour away) to meet up with my brother and his family for dinner and to go to a circus that was in town that night. The circus was fairly cheesy, it was more about the kids, and the kids definitely seemed entertained. I also entertained myself by taking some photos of the spectacle, despite a request not to at the beginning of the show. I saw people filming the entire thing, so I figured a few photos here and there wouldn't hurt. So, without further ado...

It's kind of weird how they always get short Asian girls to do the acrobatic stuff these days, but when faced with the alternative of working in a factory and mass producing cameras for yours truly, I think I might go the acrobatic route, too.
Photobucket
Photobucket

There were a few different animals brought out during the intermission that you could hold if you paid a few bucks. No takers here, but that's fine.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I've always hated clowns, probably because my mom made me wear an awful clown suit for Halloween when I was a kid. She made it herself and I know she tried hard, but I really wanted to be Cobra Commander or a general or something. In any case, clowns can make for interesting photos sometimes.
Photobucket

They had a few elephants, and in general, I felt pretty bad for them (as well as the other animals there). That said, I was pretty impressed with some of the things they did, like balance on a ball.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I highly recommend hitting the circus for some interesting photo opportunities. Even a cheesy production like this one afforded some interesting opportunities.

2 comments:

  1. Planning a work retreat, huh? I was wondering why you've been so off the grid lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's moments like that which make me grateful I've spent so many years busting my ass between higher education and corporate America.

    ReplyDelete