Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Saturday, October 10, 2009

I hope I will one day win an award based on the belief that I will do something.

The list of Nobel Peace Prize winners has long been dubious. I mean, let's be honest--Henry Kissinger? Yasser Arafat? Al Gore? Questionable accomplishments, causing more harm than good, etc.--these have all been part of the game. And the stakes in this game were raised today when it was announced that President Obama is this year's winner. What exactly has he done? What peace has he brought to the United States, or to the world for that matter? Are U.S. troops not still fighting wars in two different countries? Call me kooky, call me wacky, but Barack Obama hasn't done a damn thing to benefit this world--not now, not ever. He was unaccomplished as a senator and is, as of this date, unaccomplished as our president--no major legislation passed, no major foreign policy coups, nothing. This is not to say that he won't accomplish anything; he just hasn't accomplished anything yet. And there is no reason to give someone a famous award and over a million dollars for doing nothing. At least he's donating the money to charity. That's the one ray of sunshine in this disgrace.

As far as I'm concerned, the Peace Prize has always been the least impressive of the Nobel prizes. Today's announcement locked in that distinction for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment