Like many companies, my company is looking to cut costs due to economic pressures. Rather than lay people off right away, however, it devised a "voluntary separation" program under which any corporate employee could take a buyout package. The length and terms of that package would be based on factors such as title and length of service. We were told that if enough employees applied for the buyout package, then there would be few or no involuntary layoffs. Not a bad deal, if you ask me.
The deadline to apply for this package was yesterday, and until yesterday, I never really considered it. My team is productive and growing--faster than any other initiative in the company, I think. Productive/profitable team = safe from layoffs. As I came back to work from vacation, however, it suddenly hit me that I'm not very happy with the way things are right now. In short, I'm being taken advantage of and not receiving much for it. My friends and colleagues are shocked at my workload.
I spent much of yesterday daydreaming of what my life would be like if I didn't have to work at all for a few months. I'd go on a diet. I'd participate in a "biggest loser" contest and dominate my competitors. I'd read books, watch movies and go to a few museums. I'd play guitar like crazy. Maybe I'd take a trip. In short, life would be pretty great. Best of all, I think I'd learn to be "me" again. "Me" before I became a soulless corporate stooge. "Me" before I became obsessed with leadership, profitability, inventory turnover and the like.
I spoke with the little lady, and she wasn't having it. "Too risky", she said. Too bad--few worthwhile things in life are without some measure of risk. Alas, I woke up this morning and was still the corporate whore I was when I asleep the night before.
Today was a new day, however. Productivity sunk to depths never before seen as people gossiped about who had taken the buyout. The list of executives was lengthy (mostly rumors, right now), and in some cases, a shock. Rumor has it that more people than necessary applied for the buyout, so I wonder what will happen next. Just because a person applied doesn't mean that he'll be given the package.
It was tempting. Soooo tempting. I could really have gone for a few months of nothing. Maybe next time...
Profile
wisdom in 140 characters or less
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment