Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Sunday, June 5, 2011

white sands national monument

My dad and I met up in New Mexico a week ago for a few days of visiting national parks and monuments. It was a lot of driving, but a great trip. Our first stop was White Sands National Monument, which is in the middle of nowhere in the southern part of the state.

As its name implies, White Sands is a bunch of sand dunes composed of the whitest sand that I've ever seen. I don't know if it's always like this, but it was windy when we were there, and this made it such that there was always a hazy dust cloud in the distance. I suspect that it's also this wind that causes the ripple texture you see on the dunes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We stayed in the park until 10pm. I had brought my tripod and a timer accessory for my camera, so I wanted to try some long exposures of the night sky. Unfortunately, we weren't able to stay there long enough for me to really get the hang of it, but I did get this one shot with a shooting star in it, which was very cool.

Photobucket

There wasn't complete dark in White Sands, but there was enough for me to think that I hadn't seen that many stars in the night sky since the little lady and I were in the Galapagos Islands last year.

We woke up early on Sunday morning and drove to White Sands again. The park didn't open early enough for us to catch sunrise, but we still got there early enough to be one of the first cars in the park and to walk around for a while without suffering too much in the desert heat (temperatures were in the high 90's/low 100's both days we were there). It was great to just walk around, shoot some photos and enjoy the silence.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I highly recommend White Sands as an interesting place to visit, especially if you're into photography.

More on the trip later...

No comments:

Post a Comment