Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Friday, April 1, 2011

rome, day 2: fontana di trevi

For the first time, I decided to lug a big tripod on this trip. I knew that Rome would be a great place to do some nighttime photography, and I had this in mind when I returned to the hotel early in the afternoon to take a nap. As you all know, I've never been a nighttime kind of guy, so I needed some extra rest. Anyway, I went out around 7pm and caught the metro a few stops away so that I could visit the Fontana di Trevi, or Trevi Fountain. This was one of my favorite stops when Becca and I were here a few years ago, and I was looking forward to seeing it at night. I was definitely not disappointed. While there were tons of people there (predictable), I didn't have any trouble getting my tripod to the places I wanted it, and ended up getting some great photos.

Side view that you see just as you walk down from the street:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The impressiveness of the Fontana di Trevi cannot be overstated. It's an incredibly beautiful scene, a true masterpiece of art/sculpture. Not surprisingly, it also happens to be a favorite spot for romantic types. There was a fair number of couples making out around the scene.

I found a small cafe near the fountain and decided to have some pizza for dinner. As is the case at many restaurants in Italy, they had several types of half-cooked pizza that you could choose from (they cut off pieces and sell them to you based on weight, then finish cooking them in an oven), so I got a few types and had myself a feast. It turned out to be a bit too much, but it was good. Cheese and prosciutto was my favorite of the three types.

Photobucket

I also decided to have some gelato, having been in the country for over 24 hours and not having any. I got a cone with coconut and lemon scoops, and it was excellent, if a bit messy. After that, I went back outside to do some people photography. With all the couples, tourists and people making weird faces for other cameras, it was a great place to wander around and do my thing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The evening exceeded my expectations. I'm really glad I decided to bring the tripod, too. I had been regretting it before, as I never used it in the UK and could have used the extra space for more clothes (laundry is never cheap in hotels).

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, good call on the tripod. I like the shots of the tourists, too.

    The circumstances of these shots kind of remind me of when I decided to head out the last night I was in San Fransisco. I was dead tired from walking all day, but the last time I was there, I didn't have much of a chance to get out, so I rode the trolley all the way to the end of it's line in Union Square instead of getting of near my hotel and walked back taking pictures of people and the area. Some of my favorite shots I took last year came from that night.

    ReplyDelete