Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Thursday, December 30, 2010

noon to dusk in joshua tree national park

The little lady and I are in California for Christmas. We got here on 12/23 and won't be going back to MN until 1/1. After spending Thanksgiving with a couple of younger kids, I decided I wouldn't be able to handle 12/23 - 1/1 being around more young kids, so I planned a small side trip for the little lady and me. We left my parents' home in LA county on Tuesday morning and drove straight to Joshua Tree National Park, which is about 2.5 hours away from my parents' place. The park was surprisingly busy, but not in a way that made crowds annoying or anything like that. The weather was perfect--high 60's--and we had a good time driving around the park, stopping to walk around a bit and take photos.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

These giant palm trees were growing next to a spring:
Photobucket

This tree, which was growing near the spring, was one of the coolest looking trees I've ever seen. I think it's a cottonwood:
Photobucket

Photobucket

These tall bushes look fairly benign:
Photobucket

When you get up close, however, it's a different story:
Photobucket

One of our favorite places in the park was this "meadow" of cholla cactus:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Despite the park's name, Joshua trees can't be found in much of the park. So, we were pretty excited when we finally found some.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The higher up in the park we went, the more Joshua trees we found. We found an area that was full of them near dusk, which made for some great photos.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I believe Keys View was the highest point in the park that could be driven to. We arrived right at sunset and got some great views of the Coachella Valley below.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Joshua Tree isn't as spectacular as other desert parks, like the ones in Utah, but it's well worth a visit if you're in the vicinity.

1 comment:

  1. Love the photos. The colors are very vibrant. Hope Becca is feeling better, she looks absolutely thrilled in those photos.

    ReplyDelete