Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Monday, December 20, 2010

an afternoon in london

I hit the town to visit a couple attractions last Sunday. My first stop was the Cortauld Gallery, a small art gallery that looks like it's housed in some aristocrat's residence:

Photobucket

Despite its small size (and I mean REALLY small), the Cortauld had an impressive collection of art, including many works by famous impressionist painters. There were works by famous artists like Monet, Manet, Gauguin, Van Gogh, Seurat and Cezanne.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

My main purpose in going there was to see the current exhibit of Cezanne's card player paintings. Cezanne did a number of paintings of peasants and ordinary folk playing cards. I saw a poster in the subway for the exhibit and it sounded interesting, so...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

When I was done in the gallery (took less than an hour, since it was so small), I went outside and noticed that an ice skating rink had been set up in the courtyard of the gallery/other surrounding buildings. I decided this would be another great opportunity to go into stalker mode and take pictures of random people:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Turns out that skating rinks are a great place to see all sorts of emotions and facial expressions, particularly since most people don't know how to skate.

Afterward, I got back on the tube and went back a couple stops to the Natural History Museum. As its name implies, this museum contains all sorts of exhibits devoted to geology, paleontology, nature and the like. This would be a paradise for my nephews. In their honor, here are some fossils:

Megatherium:
Photobucket

Diplodocus (I think):
Photobucket

The Natural History Museum is one of the coolest buildings I've ever been in. Check out the architecture:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Also cool was this escalator I rode into one of the geology exhibits:
Photobucket

My favorite part of my visit was the nature photography exhibit that was going. I hadn't known about it, so this was a special treat and well worth the GBP9.00 I had to pay to get in. Pictures weren't allowed in that part of the museum, unfortunately.

Outside the museum, I found a winter carnival going, which included a merry-go-round and another ice skating rink. You guessed it--time to go back into stalker mode to take more random photos:

Photobucket

My man here totally biffed it after attempting the jump you see here:
Photobucket

Photobucket

The most colorfully dressed busker I found in the tunnel to the subway:
Photobucket

I made it back home Friday night, after having just missed Snowpocalypse UK (it actually started right before my flight took off). If I'm going to have to deal with snow, I'm glad I live in a place like MN, where the local government can handle the snow and people don't freak out about it.

2 comments:

  1. That museum is a really cool building.

    I'm surprised they let you take pictures inside that art gallery. Those paintings are really cool. Never been really huge into art, but some of those paintings were really cool.

    Looks like you're getting good use out of your 135 f/2. I'm assuming you're still happy with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the gallery was OK with photos since it was a private gallery. It's the government-owned ones where I seem to have the most trouble in the UK.

    I've been really happy with the 135 f/2. My only major complaint with it is slow autofocus. It's not a great lens for action shots, which meant that getting decent photos at those ice skating rinks was tough. Still, when I was able to get decent photos, I was really pleased with the results. Stopped down to f/2.5 or f/2.5, this lens is super sharp, and the colors it produces are excellent.

    Now I'm considering the 85mm...that's a lot of money, though. Still, primes are great.

    ReplyDelete