Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Galapagos: Isabela and Fernandina

The island of Isabela was our first stop the next day. During the ride to shore, we saw more dolphins swimming around than we saw the entire rest of the trip, which was very cool.

Photobucket

The shore was very rocky and the sand was black (i.e., not very fine and not very comfortable to walk on), but the rest of the walk around the island was fairly easy.

Photobucket

Isabela was also our first opportunity to see land tortoises. These were actually small compared to the ones we would see later, but they were still pretty big and very cool to see.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

My ongoing quest to get decent bird photos continued. I don't believe we saw any birds we hadn't seen before that morning, but I was still able to get some decent shots.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

There were a number of land iguanas hiding in the bushes on our walk, so this was a fairly typical scene:

Photobucket

We spent some time walking around in the rocks/tide pools at the end of the walk. Crabs were particularly abundant.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Our afternoon stop, Fernandina, was fascinating simply for the sheer abundance of wildlife, particularly marine iguanas. They hang out in the part of the island we visited in the hundreds. It's hard to believe until you see it. There were other things to see, too.

Sea lion:

Photobucket

Iguanas are pretty lazy creatures. Their favorite activity seems to be basking in the sun.

Photobucket

Photobucket

They frequently pile on top of each other in order to add to the warmth.

Photobucket

And I'm really not kidding when I say that they were everywhere.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Again, I never did figure out what these guys were, but their eyes are great.

Photobucket

It took a lot of effort, but I finally got a decent photo of this dragonfly I saw flying around.

Photobucket

The flightless cormorant, a very unusual looking bird.

Photobucket

Sea lions.

Photobucket

Lava cactus is pretty unusual looking, and true to its name, it grows right on top of hardened lava.

Photobucket

A whale died on the beach. In order to keep its skeleton from washing away, some naturalists moved it further up the shore and reassembled it. It was bleached brilliant white by the sun.

Photobucket


Be sure to check out my other Ecuador/Galapagos entries if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment