I asked our taxi driver for recommendations, and made it very clear that we wanted to eat authentic Mexican food. I even asked in Spanish in order to convey my desire for authenticity. As such, I was a bit disappointed when we found his two recommendations, as nary a Mexican was to be found anywhere but the kitchen or waiting tables in these establishment--not a good sign when you're looking to go the local route. Even worse, the prices were on par with or higher than what we'd pay for white-man Mexican food in Minnesota, and there's no way any regular Mexican could afford that. So, we decided to go off the beaten path in search of something without tourists. This is what we finally settled on:

Los Portales was a bit of a

We ordered some flank steak tacos and chicken fajitas, and really enjoyed everything we ate. The food was fresh, the sodas were slammin', and the service was pretty lousy, as is often the case in such eateries. The cherry on top of this joyous experience was watching the locals struggle with trying to figure out the exchange rate so they could accept my American dollars. Good times.


3 tacos + 1 plate of fajitas + 4 bottles of orange soda = 110 pesos (not quite $10)
Average price of a meal at our cab driver's recommended restaurants = 200 pesos
Yeah, I'm glad we did what we did. The food was awesome and obviously very cheap.

After lunch, we walked down the street toward the ocean. I don't think I could ever get tired of looking at the ocean in this part of Mexico:


We had arranged for our cab driver to pick us up later in the afternoon, and had a lot of time to kill after lunch, so we decided to employ one of my old HK tricks and kill time in an American (i.e., air-conditioned) establishment, which in this case was Haagen-Dazs. We ordered a bottle of water and one of their ice cream cone creations, and it ended up being more expensive than our entire lunch at the previous joint (still not as expensive as the $23

authentic tacos. those look pretty awesome. why haven't i seen any pics of becca yet? or did i miss them somehow?
ReplyDelete