Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Friday, July 25, 2008

recreating banana republic

If a contest was held to see who listened to the heaviest music, I would beat 99.9999% of the world's population. That said, even though I'm a headbanger at heart, I really enjoy listening to other kinds of music. I'm always searching for music that convey every kind of mood and feeling I experience. This is probably why I have over 3000 albums now.

One of the feelings I've been chasing for years is the way I feel when I go to Banana Republic. They do an excellent job of creating a laid back, quasi-dreamy atmosphere in their stores. I liked their clothes a lot more when I was in college than I do now, so typically when I go there I'm with the little lady, and sink into their comfortable leather chairs while she wanders around the store. The atmosphere always induces day dreams. It also makes me want to sleep, and not in a bad way.

I'd love to somehow recreate this atmosphere in my own home. I need a place where I can relax like that. I do have my own man-lair, and while I have all my music, my guitars and a home theater setup in it, it's not very comfortable. There's so much stuff in the room that it's almost suffocating, and that is not a comfortable feeling. Now, adding a leather chair and racks of overpriced clothing isn't going to turn my man-room into Banana Republic, but it might help. Perhaps when we finally buy a single-family home, one room can be the Banana Republic room. I'll probably have another room that attempts to recreate the Caribou Coffee vibe--small booths, soft lighting, a fireplace off to the side, Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett emanating quietly from the ceiling. But I digress.

I've been collecting songs that make me feel like I'm in Banana Republic, and every once in a while I update the "laid back" playlist on my iPod so that I can relax for an hour or however long it lasts. This usually gets played at work, and it often gets me strange looks, since it's a stark contrast to the bassy static and darkness that usually emanate from my cubicle. Some songs on the playlist include:

Depeche Mode - Damaged People, The Darkest Star
Thievery Corporation - Un Simple Histoire, All That We Perceive and a few other songs
Stone Temple Pilots - And So I Know
Luscious Jackson - Mood Swing, Don't Look Back
Telepopmusik - Breathe
Bonobo - Noctuary, Flutter
Supreme Beings of Leisure - Under the Gun
Marvin Gaye - You Sure Love to Ball

If you know these songs or you know the vibe I'm trying to recreate, I welcome your song suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment