Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Sunday, July 22, 2012

a view on suntans: china vs. america

After my usual (or at least, what is becoming usual) Sunday massage, I decided to take photos on the street for a while. It was a great day for this. The sky is bluer than it has ever been on any day I've been in mainland China, and there are nice, white clouds to go with. It's hotter than Hades, but at least there's a breeze and the conditions don't look so bad.

Now, when it's sunny in China, you can bet there will be almost as many umbrellas out as there would be if there was a torrential downpour. For instance:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

You see, the Chinese look at getting a tan in exactly the opposite way Americans do. Most Americans view a tan as a healthy thing. You've been relaxing, you've got a bit of color, maybe you don't even have to work. Some Americans will even pay to get a tan. Chinese people, on the other hand, see tans as a symbol of poverty and ugliness. If you have a tan, you work a crappy, manual labor job and have no pleasures in life to speak of. So, most forms of makeup have sunblock and/or whitening agents in them, and many people--including most females--will go to great lengths to ensure they get no sun. For example:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now, remember--I said it was extremely hot. That wasn't a joke. The heat index is currently 103F, courtesy of 40% humidity (which is low--it was 80% on Friday). And that breeze I was talking about? It feels like standing in car exhaust. Therefore, people aren't exactly getting comfortable by covering themselves up like this and cruising around with their umbrellas or on scooters. But hey, as long as their skin remains a lovely pasty white, no big deal.

I love this place.

6 comments:

  1. It's actually exactly the same in the Philippines. Mushna goes to some pretty incredible lengths to avoid getting a lot of sun... Or even a little for that matter. She can be in the sun for an hour and be 10 shades darker.

    Skin whitening cream is huge business in the Philippines. The most popular ingredient is placenta. I'm not sure exactly where the placentas come from...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu7twgPQTCs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that sun umbrellas would catch on here. I told my friends that I wanted to bring one with us one day, when we were going to be walking around a lot, and they made fun of me so I didn't. But I still wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would just do it anyway. I mean, why not? So a couple people make fun of you...big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I succumb to peer pressure too easily, I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you getting blind massages?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I have a membership at a place and they don't offer it. The places I've seen that do seem to be a bit crappier, and I don't really want to go to a crappy place for something like a massage. Dinner, on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete