I won a major political battle at work, and essentially got everything I wanted out of the fight. Strangely enough, however, now that I have everything I want, I'm totally stressed out. Ridiculously stressed out.
It's 7:51am on Friday morning. I haven't eaten since 1pm on Wednesday afternoon, and I don't feel hungry. I just feel sick. Not nauseous sick, but rather, nervous sick. I started to feel this way every morning when I woke up a few weeks ago. Now, the feeling is constant.
In other news, I got on the scale this morning and weighed less than I have ever since I got to China. I guess a little bit of stress goes a long way.
Profile
wisdom in 140 characters or less
Friday, May 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yeah, I can relate. Sounds to me like you put a lot on the line to win these battles and are now concerned about backing it up maybe?
ReplyDeletePart of it is that, and part of it is working with difficult (and often inexperienced) people. Nothing is easy here, and the timelines I'm working on are pretty unreasonable. Put that all together, and you have a perfect storm.
DeleteThanks for the suggestion, but I'm trying to stay all-natural. Although I wasn't taking them for depression, I previously took anti-depressants (I know Xanax is not an anti-depressant) and didn't enjoy the side effects, particularly losing my edge.
ReplyDeleteTake care of yourself. This job, or any job, is not worth your health, physical or mental.
ReplyDeleteThanks. You are right, and I wish this was easier to control. The situation certainly does have me wondering about the future, though. I hope this is just a phase, but if it's not, I'm not going to want to do this for years.
DeleteI was thinking the other day that we (and people like us) have very stressful jobs. Of course a lot of people have stressful jobs, but each job's stress is a little different. I was also thinking that while I can't control most aspects of my jobs - the client, the timelines, or even the outcomes, I can control how I feel about them and how I approach them. Sometimes this helps me to de-stress a little. But sometimes it doesn't help at all, truthfully. But I do remind myself on a regular basis that nothing that happens at work really matters all that much. Not in the grand scheme of life.
DeleteThat's why I only take it as-needed. When I take it, I relax a little too much so that nothing seems to matter anymore. But, when times call for it, it sure helps.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if you can find these over there, but if food is too much to manage when you're stressed, try protein smoothies or protein fruit juices, like Naked juice. At least you'll be getting some fruit, protein, and calories.
When I can't eat, I've been having soda or juice--I got down one bottle of each on Thursday and Wednesday, so that was probably between 180-300 calories a day. Not great, but better than nothing.
ReplyDeleteMore advanced stuff like Naked juice doesn't exist here, unfortunately.