Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Monday, January 17, 2011

traipsing about on a frozen lake

It's been a few weeks since I did any serious shooting, so I was getting antsy for something to take pictures of. We were going to go snowshoeing yesterday, but the little lady got sick and we had to abort that mission. Too bad--it would have been a first for us, and I had been planning on taking my camera. Still, inspired by this idea, I decided to head over to a lake near our old apartment to have a look around.

I was pleased with what I found. It's been a while since the temperature was consistently above 15F or so, so the lake was completely frozen. There were a few ice houses and cars on the lake, too--a perfect opportunity to get close to something I've previously only seen from the freeway. Also, I don't think I'd ever walked on a frozen lake before, so that was another first for me.

I was ill-prepared for the weather. It was 8F and breezy on the lake. I had jeans, a sweatshirt, gloves, running shoes, a beanie with a face mask, and that's it. My head stayed warm, but the rest of me was pretty frozen by the time I finished my 20-30 minutes out there.

I primarily stuck to the area of the lake that had been plowed, but did go off the path for a few minutes to get closer to the trees.

Photobucket

Like I mentioned, there were a few people out there, but it was extremely quiet--quieter than any place I've been in a long time.

Photobucket

Photobucket

As you might expect for a lake in suburbia, there are some really nice homes around the lake. The patio furniture under the leafless trees here made for a cool scene.

Photobucket

Most people on the lake had ice houses of some kind; these guys, however, were out in the open.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I don't know how long they were out there, but that must have made for a pleasant afternoon.

I wanted to walk further on the lake, but not having any boots for the snow, I decided to turn back. I noticed some big cracks in the ice on the way back to the parking lot, and the faint smell of charcoal being burned. That's right--someone was having a barbecue out on the lake.

Photobucket

Once I got back to the parking lot, I started wondering why I hadn't just driven my car out on the lake like everyone else. I had never done this either, and without the little lady at my side to freak out about the idea, I decided to drive out on the lake for a couple minutes, just so I could say that I had--nevermind the cracks in the ice I had just seen. Not a bad way to end an interesting adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment