Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Monday, November 29, 2010

Surveillance with the Canon 135mm f/2L

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had seen an interesting exhibit at the Tate Modern in London, which was devoted to surreptitious/surveillance/spy photography. I've long been interested in the idea, because I like the idea of photographing subjects from a distance without disturbing them. This allows you to capture them at their most natural, and their most intimate.

With this in mind, I recently picked up a new lens, the Canon 135mm f/2L prime lens. I took it with me to Kansas City and was able to test it out a bit. So far, I'm really pleased with the results. Images are sharp, and as I wanted, I've been able to do some surveillance-type photos.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I was cruising in downtown KC last night with my sister behind the wheel. I sat in the back with my camera, trying to take pictures without being seen. I should do this more often. The few minutes I spent doing this were a ton of fun.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I need to spend more time with this lens. I think I'm going to take it to London next week.

1 comment:

  1. That shot of Becca is good. The depth of field at f/2 at 135 mm is really slim

    There are a ton of photographers out there who do street photography. If you browse Flickr, there are a lot of groups devoted to it, too.

    ReplyDelete