Profile

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Hello.

wisdom in 140 characters or less

Saturday, June 12, 2010

london, wales and istanbul

Greetings from Istanbul, Turkey. No Constantinople jokes, please.

A lot has changed since I last posted an update. On the last day of my vacation (the Florida one), I learned that I'd gotten an internal position for which I had been interviewing. My new position involves supporting supply chain and space management efforts for our new operations in the UK and Turkey. I'm bummed that I won't be going to Asia again anytime soon, but I'm excited to be doing something different and to be on the leading edge of where the company is going. I was told to expect to be on the road 50% of the time at least, and I'll be on this side of the world until June 26.

I've been on the road since June 1--yes, long trip. My first stop was London. I arrived in town on a Wednesday and left the following Monday for Turkey. It was my first time in London, and I really liked it a lot. The people were friendlier than I expected, the weather was great, I had some pretty decent food, and there was lots to see. I visited one of our two stores (it had opened the week before), and it looked great. It's always interesting to see what different products are available in other places. The major standout in this store was electric cars and bikes. Yeah, kinda weird for a Best Buy.

My weekend in London ended up being open, so I spent Saturday going around London. They have double-decker open air tour buses that you can take around the city, and you can get off and back on when and wherever you like, so I caught one of those and saw a few things of interest. I also got caught in the middle of an anti-Israel/pro-Palestine protest near Trafalgar Square. I've never been that close to a protest or around so many scary looking dudes, so it was quite the experience. YouTube is apparently blocked in Turkey, but when I'm back in the UK (I'm going back on Tuesday night), maybe I'll post some video.

The Eye of London and the Thames:
Photobucket

Westminster Palace (Parliament) and Big Ben:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Westminster Abbey:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Protesters:
Photobucket

Trafalgar Square:
Photobucket

I forget what this is, but it's right off Trafalgar Square and looks important and historical or something:
Photobucket

Photobucket

The Tower of London:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Tower Bridge:
Photobucket

On Sunday, I spent eight hours on trains so I could spend seven hours in south Wales. A bit crazy, but that's the kind of thing you do when you're on the road and have limited time, I guess. The trip didn't turn out to be as fun as I had planned since I wasn't able to rent a car when I got to town (everything is closed on Sunday in the UK, apparently), but I was still able to see some cool stuff and wander around the towns of Mumbles and Swansea. I'd love to go back to Wales--it's a very pretty place.

Views of and from Oystermouth Castle:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Views of Mumbles and Swansea Bay:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I've been in Istanbul since Monday. I've spent most of my time working, and took a day trip to Izmir on Wednesday to see our first store in Turkey, which is located there. The store was nice, and it was interesting to see the differences there, too. I visited a couple competitors' stores right after that, and Best Buy is definitely a nicer shopping experience. Hopefully that will translate into success in this country.

I spent this morning cruising around the old part of Istanbul, where Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque and the Hippodrome are located. I was very impressed with this area when the little lady and I came here a couple years ago, so I wanted to see it again. This time, I had as much time as I wanted, a better camera and no annoying tour guide, so I really enjoyed myself. It's tough to fit everything there is to see in Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque into photos, but hopefully what I've got will give you an idea of how impressive the archictecture and decorations are inside. I won't bore you with too many details, but suffice it to say that Hagia Sophia used to be the biggest church in the world (it was converted to a mosque and minarets were added after the Turks conquered the Byzantines in 1453, more than 900 years after Hagia Sophia was built). The Blue Mosque is one of the biggest mosques in the world, if not the biggest, and is just opposite Hagia Sophia. The Hippodrome is where chariot races used to be held during Byzantine times.


The Blue Mosque:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hagia Sophia:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Hippodrome:

Photobucket

Photobucket


It's cool to be in a different part of the world and to be able to see interesting things, but this is definitely not a glamorous life. I work like 18 hours a day and feel totally exhausted at the end of each day. Living out of a suitcase gets old after a while, too. Still, I like traveling and I chose this job, and I'm making the most of it. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment